If you’re looking for a fun and easy way to add some spooky ambiance to your Halloween decor, look no further than this Pool Noodle Halloween Candles DIY. These candles are simple to make, inexpensive, and can be customized to fit your personal style. Plus, they’re a great way to upcycle old pool noodles that might otherwise go to waste.
To make your own pool noodle Halloween candles, all you need is a pool noodle or two, a sharp knife, a glue gun, and some battery-operated tea lights or LED lights. Paint is optional if you can’t find the right color pool noodles.
Cut the pool noodles into your desired candle heights, add the hot glue, and decorate as desired with tissue paper, fabric, ribbons, glitter, or other decorations. Then, insert the battery-operated tea light or LED light into the top of the noodle to create a glowing candle effect.
Not only are these DIY pool noodle candles perfect for Halloween, but they can also be used for other occasions such as birthday parties, and outdoor BBQs, or even as a fun and unique gift idea. So why not try them and see how you can incorporate them into your decor?
Don’t forget to Pin This For Later!
About Pool Noodle Candles
As the name suggests, faux pool noodle candles are made using pool noodles, which are a popular pool accessory. These candles are a fun and inexpensive way to decorate your home, especially during summer or Halloween.
Remember that pool noodle candles are not toys and should be kept out of reach of small children and pets.
The candle effect is created by dripping hot glue down the sides of the pool noodles to create an authentic candle effect.
When making DIY pool noodle candles, you will need a few supplies to get started. Here are the materials you will need to make your pool noodle candles:
You can find pool noodles in a variety of colors and sizes, so choose one that fits your needs. Finding them in the right color can save the hassle of painting them.
Dollar Tree frequently sells black and orange pool noodles around Halloween.
To create a safe and long-lasting pool noodle candle, you will need to use flameless candles. These candles are battery-operated and come in a variety of sizes and shapes. You can find them at most craft stores or online.
These have a remote control with a timer!
In addition to pool noodles and flameless candles, you will need a few additional tools to make your pool noodle candles. Here are some tools you may need:
- A sharp knife or scissors
- A ruler or measuring tape
- Hot glue gun
- A rubberband or twine (helps keep candles together while glueing them in a group)
- Optional: ribbons, glitter, stickers, or other decorations
With these materials, you can make your own DIY pool noodle candles.
If you want to make DIY pool noodle candles, follow these simple steps:
Preparing the Pool Noodle
- Cut the pool noodles into sections using a serrated knife, a razor knife, or scissors. You can use different heights for your candles by marking the pool noodle and cutting it accordingly.
- Use a pair of scissors to slightly widen the hole of the pool noodle to insert the flameless candles. Be careful not to make the hole too big, or the candle will not stay in place. As a tip, you can trace the bottom of your LED candle to use as a template.
- Using a low-temperature glue gun, slowly drip hot glue on the edge of the pool noodle and let it drip down the sides in various drip lengths. Be careful not to drip glue onto your hands. I did use a high-temperature glue gun at first, the pool noodle burned and turned the white noodles yellow. It may not matter if they’re black or a darker color. Just an FYI.
If you want to add glitter, you can add it quickly before the glue dries. I also tried glitter glue sticks and they look amazing. You will need a lot of them so it will increase the cost. You also need to run an entire regular glue stick through your glue gun to clean out the glitter glue!
Painting Pool Noodles
- If you want to add color to your DIY pool noodle candles, you can paint them with acrylic paint. You can also use water-based spray paint for a more even finish.
- Before painting, make sure the pool noodle is clean and dry. You can wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris.
- Apply the paint using a brush or spray paint. You may need to apply multiple coats to get the desired color. Let the paint dry completely before moving on to the next step. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions that are on the paint container.
Installing The Flameless Candles
- Insert the flameless candles into the widened hole of the pool noodle. Make sure they are secure and won’t fall out.
- Turn on the candles and enjoy the warm glow of your DIY pool noodle candles.
- You can add embellishments to your pool noodle candles to make them more festive. For example, you can tie a ribbon around the base of the candle or sprinkle glitter on the top.
- If you want to make your pool noodle candles more stable, you can glue them to a base. You can use a small plate, a piece of cardboard, or any other flat surface. Dollar Tree pizza pans work great!
- Display your DIY pool noodle candles on a table, mantel, or any other surface where you want to add a pop of color and light.
Additional Tips and Tricks
When making DIY pool noodle candles, there are a few additional tips and tricks that can help you create beautiful and unique candles. Here are some suggestions to keep in mind:
- Experiment with different colors and patterns: Pool noodles come in a variety of colors, so don’t be afraid to mix and match them to create interesting designs for your candles. You can also add decorations or fabric to the outside of the pool noodle to create even more visual interest.
- Use battery-operated tea lights or LED lights: I recommend using battery-operated tea lights or LED lights. These are safer to use and can be reused multiple times. Using real candles is a fire hazard.
- Add decorations: Once your candles are complete, you can add decorations like ribbons, glitter, or stickers to make them even more festive.
- Make sure your workspace is well-ventilated: When working with some paints, it’s important to ensure your workspace is well-ventilated. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
By following these tips and tricks, you can create beautiful and unique pool noodle candles that are sure to impress your friends and family. Have fun and be creative!
Troubleshooting Common Issues
As with any DIY project, there may be some common issues that you encounter while making pool noodle candles. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you overcome any problems you may face.
Issue: Uneven Candles
If your pool noodle candles are uneven, it could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure that you are cutting the pool noodle straight across. If you cut at an angle, the candle will be uneven. To ensure even candles, measure and mark your pool noodles before cutting.
Issue: Tealights Won’t Stay in Place
If your tealights won’t stay in place, it could be due to the size of the hole you cut in the pool noodle. Make sure that the hole is just slightly larger than the tealight to ensure a snug fit. Double-sided tape may also help keep the candles in place.
Issue: Pool Noodle Won’t Cut Straight
If you are having trouble cutting your pool noodles straight, try using a serrated knife. Make sure that you are cutting in a straight line and not sawing back and forth.
Issue: Candles Won’t Stand Up
If your candles don’t stand up, it could be due to the surface you are using. Make sure that you are placing your candles on a flat surface to ensure that they stand upright.
Gluing multiple pool noodles together makes the arrangement more stable.
By following these troubleshooting tips, you should be able to overcome any common issues you may encounter while making pool noodle candles.
When working with hot glue and paint, it’s important to take proper safety measures to prevent accidents and injuries. Here are some precautions to follow when making DIY pool noodle candles:
Use Battery-Operated Lights
Instead of using real, burning candles, it’s recommended to use battery-operated tea lights or LED lights. This will eliminate the risk of starting a fire or damaging your home. You can easily find these lights at any craft store or online retailer.
They even make LED lights with a remote control!
Work in a Well-Ventilated Area
When using spray paint and some other types of paint, it’s important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling toxic fumes and getting overspray all over your house. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Wear Protective Gear
To avoid burns and spills, it’s recommended to wear protective gear such as gloves and an apron. This will protect your skin and clothing from hot glue and other materials.
I had a lot of fun making DIY pool noodle candles and I hope you did too! Not only are they easy to make, but they’re also a great way to add some fun and flair to any room or outdoor space.
One of the best things about making pool noodle candles is that you can customize them to fit any occasion or theme. You can use different colors and patterns of pool noodles, add glitter or stickers, or even create spooky Halloween candles. The possibilities are endless!
Another great thing about these candles is that they’re inexpensive to make. All you need are some pool noodles, a sharp knife or scissors, and some battery-operated tea lights or LED lights. You can also use tissue paper or fabric to add some color or texture to your candles.
Overall, making DIY pool noodle candles is a great way to get creative and add some personality to your decor. Whether you’re hosting a party, relaxing by the pool, or just want to add some fun to your home, these candles are a great choice. So grab some pool noodles and get crafting!
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I create unique Halloween candles using pool noodles?
To create unique Halloween candles using pool noodles, you can use black, orange, and white pool noodles to create a spooky atmosphere. You can also add glitter, stickers, or other decorations to make them more festive. Battery-operated tea lights or LED lights can be used as a safe alternative to real candles.
What tools should I use to cut pool noodles?
To cut pool noodles, you can use a serrated knife or scissors. A ruler or measuring tape can be used to measure the desired length of the pool noodle.
How Do You Make Tall Pool Noodles Stand Up?
To make tall pool noodles stand up, you can use a sturdy base such as a basket or a pot filled with sand or rocks. You can also glue the pool noodles together to create a more stable structure.
What are some pool noodle centerpiece ideas for Halloween?
Some pool noodle centerpiece ideas for Halloween include creating a spooky tree using black pool noodles, adding spider webs and spiders to white pool noodles, or making a pumpkin patch using orange pool noodles.
How can I securely glue pool noodles together for DIY projects?
To securely glue pool noodles together for DIY projects, you can use a hot glue gun with hot glue sticks for styrofoam.
I glued my entire pool noodle arrangement to a pizza pan from Dollar Tree.
What are some fun and spooky Halloween decorations I can make using pool noodles?
Some fun and spooky Halloween decorations you can make using pool noodles include a skull, a pool noodle wreath with bats and spiders, a pool noodle garland with ghosts and pumpkins, or a pool noodle skeleton with glow-in-the-dark paint.